October 28, 2007

Grizzarkhov... the Freshmaker

Well, really, the Moneymaker.

You may have noticed I've been doing some experiments with advertising on the blog. I added Google Adsense about a month and a week ago. (Those are the little text ads on the right and at the bottom of the page. The ads relate to the content on the page. So, in the last 5 weeks you've seen ads for, blogging, baby products, Halloween, cats and today, much to my chagrin, bottled water.) I wanted to see what would happen. And, quite frankly, I was inspired by dooce.com's Heather Armstrong: "In October 2005 I began running enough ads on this website that my husband was able to quit his job and become a Stay at Home Father (SAHF) ... " she says. "This website now supports my family."

Now, I'm under no illusions that this blog can support our family (she says, secretly wishing that this blog could support her family), but maybe it could give us some extra cash, or pay for a vacation or, even better, daycare.

So far, I've made about $8.

So... no holding my breath on that whole supporting the family thing. Google doesn't even pay out until I hit $100. By that calculation and my current rate of earning I'll get a big fat $100 check around the time that Lydia Violet turns 18 months. (Now, I'm not math genius, so if I got those calculations wrong feel free to send me the correct ones.) What I do know is that that rate of earning is not going to pay for daycare.

The other experiment has been with Amazon Associates. And I've been linking to products on Amazon that I mention on the blog. I've essentially just set that up and so far had no success. I think I need to plan the whole Amazon thing out a bit more.

There you have it. It's been a learning experience and I'm not a blogging mogul... yet.

No comments: