October 17, 2007

Avocado Ice Cream


Yes. That's right. It green and oh so delicious!

I got a ice cream maker earlier this year. Not the kind my mother had either. This one is electric and requires no rock salt. It can make a quart in 30 minutes or less.

After some unextraordinary success with the new machine, I was inspired to go off the reservation, as the CIA says. A few years ago Dima and I visited my friends Mike and Maggie in Elkins, West Virginia when his sister, Becca, was on hiatus from school in Costa Rica. milkshakes. And we drank them all weekend. Yum-my!

Looking fondly back on that avocado packed weekend I decided to try an experiment with the ice cream maker. Here are the results. If you can get over your puritanical ideas of what ice cream is "supposed to be" you will love this! If you can't, you're really missing out on a great treat! (Clearly this is not a low fat desert, and you won't find me eating any anytime soon. Dima and I started back on Weight Watchers on Monday.)

Makes about 1 quart

1 medium Hass avocado
1 small banana (or equal portion of)
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
a dash of salt


*Note: You can replace the banana with more avocado. If you do, you should add 2/3 cups of sugar to sweeten it up a bit. Also, sometimes I split the milk and heavy evenly, 1 cup each. The avocado already makes this really rich so you don't need the extra help from that additional 1/2 cup of heavy cream.


Pop the avocado and banana in a blender and puree. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to freeze. Blend a few more seconds before pouring into the ice cream maker just to make sure everything is evenly distributed. Follow your ice cream maker's instructions for freezing.

It's really nice served with some Madelaines or these awesome little cake and cream rolls we get at the Korean market.

No comments: